Friday, April 4, 2008

NCAA Tournament Predictions

With the Final Four kicking off in just over 24 hours, it's time to reveal my predictions:

Memphis v UCLA
I wrote before that if Memphis ever involved itself in a tight game with a good team their weaknesses would be highlighted. Well, Tigers, let me introduce you to the Bruins. UCLA is the best team Memphis will face all year, and the Bruins' combination of size and athleticism will be too much for the Tigers to handle. The two best freshmen in the game will be competing in this one (I'm not on the Beasley bandwagon) so, in that regard, it's going to be quite a pleasure to watch. Love and Rose are about as different as basketball players get; Rose succeeds because of his freakish hops and speed while Love succeeds because of his body positioning and awareness. But both players get it done, and if they go head-to-head down the stretch, this game could be an epic one. In the end though, Memphis will miss just enough free throws and Love will make just enough clutch plays.
UCLA by 4

Kansas v UNC
In one of the most talented Final Fours in a long time - that's what you get with 4 Ones making it - Kansas doesn't quite seem to fit in the picture. They have a great squad with depth and skill, they just don't have that gamechanger that the other teams possess. I think this game would have been better had Davidson upended Kansas in the regional and UNC had to face Steph Curry and Co. I think this game is going to be pretty ho-hum. As much as I still don't buy into all the UNC hype, they are far better than a Kansas team that looked lost for a while against Davidson last weekend.
UNC by 12

I tried my hardest to go the Fabiani route and pick Memphis v Kansas, I just don't see it happening. UCLA is the best team in the country right now and Kansas isn't good enough to beat UNC. It's pretty simple really.

No comments: